Tuesday, March 15, 2011

UNADVISEABLE!? Of coarse, because Thats How We Roll!

My brother-in-law, his cousin simply known as Steve, and I spent 4 days backpacking in the Grand Canyon's rugged back country in an area known as The Gems, named after the side canyons in the area (Ruby, Saphire, Turquoise, etc). This trip was highly discouraged by the park service. Partly because the road to the trail head (South Bass trail head) had recently received a lot of snow, was very muddy, and on a dry day usually requires a 4X4. Secondly, we planned our 50 mile death march in a 4 day trip (side note: Don't put 50 mile death march on the permit request, raises Red Flags). To get the permits to do the trip, the park service required us to sign additional wavers. The wavers were signed without hesitation. Thats just how we roll.
Left to right: Steve, Nate, R-Dub, not pictured Rex (our driver)

We made it to the trail head in "Big Bertha" without problems (the temp was still low 30's and the ground was still frozen. The trail was covered with snow up to mid thigh from drifts and was difficult to find at times as seen below.
After about an hour, we dropped in elevation, the snow dissipated, the temperatures got warmer and we negotiated our way along the Tonto trail for 3 days. It was a beautiful experience. 

I filtered water from snow run off in the side canyons about 2x a day
Mid pict: Big Horn Sheep. A heard of them ran past us as we were on the trail
Day 4: we hiked out of the GC on Hermits Trail.
Yes, I know, we make it look easy... but don't try this at home

Day 1: 14 miles to Ruby Canyon
Day 2: 15 miles to Slate Canyon
Day 3: 10 miles to Hermits rest
Day 4: 8 miles out Hermits trail

Much to my surprise, we were the LEAST popular people on the shuttle bus. People avoided sitting anywhere near us. I was thinking to myself, I feel pretty hardy and accomplished doing a trip like that. I packed all my food, filtered my own water, slept under the stars, didn't shower for 4 days..... then it dawns on me... these people have no idea how cool I am.






1 comment:

Naomi Hullinger said...

That sounds amazing! Glad you guys made it out of there safe. Beautiful pics. What a trip. Too cool, gotta love it.